Thursday, July 7, 2011

Well. . . I haven't written in a while, so A LOT has happened. . .
First that happened was the bungee jumping trip.  Yes. . .I did it!!!  I think it was fun.  I don't really remember jumping!  haha!  I wasn't nervous until I put my toes over the edge.  Even though I was nervous, i still jumped!  I screamed so loud too!  Hey, I was plunging 150 (I think) feet down to the nile river!  And yes, I got dunked!  If I was gonna bungee jump over the Nile, I was gonna go all the way.  I really can't believe that I jumped.  My dad and Coleman went to.  Coleman was too light to tough the water, but i'm sure that it was still a cool experience.
After the Bungee jumping, we went to see Victoria Falls, which is really just a bunch of rapids on the Nile.  Before we got to the water, we got a call from the lawyer and she told us that the judge gave us a court date!  So far, it was the best day that we had had.  Then we took a few pictures neaar the water.  We watched this man hold onto an empty water jug, and "float" down the rapids!  It was insane!  After that, we went to eat at this restraunt.  I got the chicken ceasar salad. . .BIG mistake!  I'll tell you about that in a bit. . .
After eating, we began our way home.  In case you aren't familiar with traffic in Africa, it's horrible!  The two hour drive took us four.  We were about 30 mins away from home for about 2 hours.  The whole time the windows were open and all of the fumes were coming into the car, and eventually, into me.  By the time I stepped out of the car, I had a massive head ache!  We walked in and I went straight to bed.
The next day was terrible.  I felt so bad.  I was cold all the time (fever), my neck hurt, my back hurt, and I always had a huge headache!  All were signs of malaria.  That night, I got a fever of 103!  My parents started freaking out.  Imagine if you were in Africa with an unknown disease, a 103 fever, and the nearest doctor's office had no doors or windows. . . ya. . . they were SCARED!  Any way, my dad took me to a hotel that night so he could be close to me and check on me, and I could really get clean and be in the air conditioning.  The next morning, I was feeling much better, but still sick.  I'm not sure what we did next, but after a couple more days, I got better.
Since we got a court date, we had to change our flight days.  My dad and I were scheduled to fly home the day after the court date, and Coleman and Mom about a week after us.  That was the plan, until Coleman got sick.  He had food poisoning.  So now, Coleman and Dad are going back the day after the court date, and mom and I are going home about a 2 weeks after that.
Ok. . . .Now to the court day.
We arrived at the lawyer's office at about 7:30, and Joan and Derrick's biological mom and dad arrived about 30 minutes later.  Meeting them wasn't as dramatic as I had imagined.  All we did was say hello.  Joan greeted them, but Derrick wanted nothing to do with them.  Any way, we made sure that both the mom and the dad had their story straight.  we wanted to make sure that they hadn't thought of anything new.  Everything went fine.  Everyone knew what they were supposed to say and what they were not supposed to say.  We were ready to go to the court.
Well. . . when we got in there, we went to the judge's office and we all sat down.  The dad went first, then the mom.  It was all in Lugandan so I couldn't understand any of it.  They never asked my mom or dad a single question.  Any way. . . The dad told the judge that we had been paying his rent(which is NOT true).  That is considered a bribe.  They don't want us to BUY the kids.  We think that the dad was just trying to help.  He didn't mean to cause any harm.  I felt bad for him because all the Ugandans were yelling at him.  Even complete strangers.  The judge said that he will give us the ruling next Wednesday.  The lawyer felt good about it.  She and the judge have worked together a lot.  I think the judge knows that their dad isn't right in the head.  We'll see. . .

Prayer Requests:
1)That all the teams flying in will get here safely
2)That no one else gets sick
3)That the judge knows that we did NOT pay the dad's rent and he will rule in our favor
4)That Dad and Coleman get home safely
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment