Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ok. . . This is kinda awkward to write this all down because I don't really know who I'm talking to.    It might be weird to read too.  Just pretend that I am saying all this directly to you.  Oh, and by the way. . . this is Summer Break, so I'm not going to be writing a descriptive essay.  Alright. . .
When we first stepped off the plane in Africa, we had to wait in this long line to get our visas.  Then we went to got all 18 of our bags.  They were mostly filled with things for Joan and Derrick and the SOZO kids.  Any way. . . After we got our bags, we all walked through these doors into a room where there were a ton of people holding up signs with the names of the people who they were picking up.  We all stopped not sure of where to go, when all of a sudden, I heard two screams! (Don't worry, it wasn't a terrorist!) It was Joan and Derrick!  They all ran up to us (Joan, Derrick, Joel, Allen, and Colby).  Joel almost fell!  I saw Joan first so I picked her up and gave her a big hug, and then I got Derrick from Coleman and gave him a big hug.  My mom got a hold of Joan, and within 5 minutes, Joan was asleep.  Coleman had Derrick.  Colby got it all on video.  I'm sure we all looked terrible.  We had been traveling for 24 hours.  On the car ride home, Derrick fell asleep in Coleman and mine's lap.  He held my hand the whole way home, except for when he reached up to touch Coleman on the shoulder to make sure he was still there.
The next day we went to Rays of Hope, Joan and Derrick's old school.  ROH is in the slums of Kabalagala.  This is how I explained Kabalagala to people.  Africa=North America, Uganda=US, Kampala=Alabama, and Kabalagala=Birmingham.  Any way, The best way to describe ROH is disgusting.  There is litteraly trash EVERYWHERE.  There is raw sewage running through the street.  It smells gross.  The kids are the best kids on the planet though.  They have all been kind and accepting to all of us muzungus (white people).  The first day, the kids put on a show for us.  There was dancing and singing.  Coleman gave his testimony.  At the end of the whole thing, the kids got all of the muzungus to dance with them.  A little girl named Hanifah got Coleman and I.  She is the sweetest girl ever!  She has a crush on Coleman because he is white, handsome, a hard worker, and nice.  We have already decided that when she grows up and moves to America, she and Coleman will get married!  I told her that I would scare away all of his future girlfriends ;)
Africa itself is a beautiful place with beautiful people.  The only problem is the trash and the pollution.  Yesterday, I blew my nose and it was black.  Gross. . . I know.  The drivers are crazy.  There are no lanes, and no traffic lights.  Imagine driving down 280 with no lanes and no traffic lights, except with a lot more cars.  Chaos.  You get within 6 inches of the car next to you.  Kinda scary.
Derrick is crazy.  He never stops talking.  The only problem with that is that he doesn't speak english so you can't understand what he is saying.  Joan is sweet and so smart.  She is very easy to communicate with.  Her signing is very self explanitory.  They are already a part of the family.
Today, a group of us are going bungee jumping over the Nile river.  I haven't decided if I am going to do it yet. . . we'll see.
Today is the big day. . . we find our if we got a court date or not.

Prayer requests:
1)That not a child at Rays of Hope is harmed or hungary
2)That no one dies or gets hurt bungee jumping
3)That God shows favor on us and gives us a court date
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment